Friday 5 September 2008

What Kate did

Kate Moss is a polemic public character. Anorexic, cokehead, she has been called names all her life. I don’t want to play devil’s advocate, and I don’t condone at all anorexia, nor drug addictions. Nonetheless, I don’t condone judging people, especially people you only “know” from the media.

When those snorting photos were on the covers of the tabloids, many people thought it would be the end of her long-lived modeling career. She did loose some contracts: I remember passing in front of Knightsbridge’s Burberry store just days after the scandal and they were taking down the massive outdoor photograph they had of her. However, some while and a rehab later, Kate was back in biz. A lot of people argued that one of the reasons for that was that it would have been hypocritical from the fashion professionals to just stop hiring such a known model for taking drugs. Since in the jet set world drug taking doesn’t seem to be a very uncommon thing, it would really have been hypocritical to just throw Kate to the bin because of that.

Personally, I am not that into fashion, and I don’t like the whole gossip media world either. I wouldn’t ever say that Kate Moss is my idol, but as someone who’s been misunderstood quite a few times in life, I would like to say a few of good things about her:

1- I think she does try to be a good mother to her daughter Lila Grace.

2- Perhaps she just has a skinny physique, I don’t think she makes that much effort to be slim, so maybe she really isn’t anorexic.

3- She has a very unique kind of beauty, which I think is important in the world of fashion. I mean, she has a funny nose, she doesn’t have much breasts, she isn’t as tall as the other models, she’s very angular and correct me if I’m wrong, but I think she’s even a bit cross-eyed. When she became famous, in the 90’s, she was known for being very different than the other models such as Claudia Schiffer (who I never thought that much of) or Linda Evangelista (to me, she looks like a horse). So Kate used to dress like a crazy teenager back then (which she was), but then, within the years, knowing herself and maturing, she mastered her style, and hell, does the woman dress well! Sarah Jessica Parker? Victoria Beckham? Oh please, they are desperate for attention bimbos! Kate is the one who does it well, even when it comes to designing clothes, like she did for Topshop.

4- She has an exquisite musical taste too. She even tried to sing a few times (not her forte, I agree with the critics), but taking into consideration the people she hangs out with, the places she goes to, and other projects of hers such as music videos (with people like Johnny Cash and The White Stripes), Kate has done more to music than the first lady of France (let’s not even start with that woman!).

5- To finish off with a comic relief: I know she went out with Peter Doherty, and that was a sick romance from day one. But the woman also went out with JOHNNY DEPP! ONE’S GOTTA RESPECT THAT! They were together for about 3 years, I think, and apparently even got engaged, so it was not just a summer love. I only wished I could say the same…

"What are you looking at?"