Saturday 6 September 2008

Mangiare!

Italy is definitely one of the best tourist destinations of the world – landscapes, arts and history, make your choice: the boot-shaped country offers everything. I don’t know if living there would actually be that nice, considering the news we hear, in terms of politics, job offers and the treatment foreigners receive… however, I’m pretty sure that for as long as it is possible, Italy will carry on being a holiday hotspot.

But oh, I digress! What I want to talk about is their fooood! Delicious! The pasta properly made tastes so much better! The ice-cream is just so… creamy! The coffee is something else – of course it doesn’t grow there, it’s about the way they make it. A true macchiato is an experience for the senses! And the pizza, Dio mio, che pizza! I will elaborate here because pizza is indeed one of my favorite dishes ever: it’s the simple combination of the cheese, the base and the toppings that do the magic.

Unlike most people think, pizza shouldn’t be that fattening of a dish – again, it depends on the way it is made and on the toppings. The bad thing about eating a proper Italian “mamma-mia” made pizza is that afterwards no other pizza is good enough anymore! It’s all about the simple way they hand make and shape the base, that once ready just remains thin, soft and tender – not that way too thick or crunchy thingy they generally sell elsewhere: those are actually just bread and crackers, in my opinion. Then, there is the fresh made tomato sauce, not just some canned artificial stuff. Add up the proper grated mozzarella and some traditional toppings (chocolate pizza?! Italians would probably faint just by hearing that). Last but not least: you bake it on a wood-fire oven. The result comes in a big individual portion, rather than having a “family sized” one to slice.

It all sounds like a complicated (and hence, expensive) process, but for instance, in a city like Genoa you can find a nice and filling margherita for about 3 on corner pizzerias. After all, in its origins pizza was a dish made by and for the poor.

It has some nutrition values: it gives the carbohydrates from the base, and the cheese, if consumed with moderation, is also a nutritious element. Then there is a world of healthy toppings to choose from as well. I don’t like to complicate it a lot, so anchovies and capers are enough for me.

Lucky me that in Barcelona I can find a “proper” Italian place: Bella Napoli. Once/if I move somewhere else, I will be longing to go back to Italy more often – and God only knows if I’ll be able to afford it! Or maybe I’ll just open a pizza place myself and hire some proper napoletani to do the job!

For now, I’ll leave you with a video I found of Bella Napoli.